The government of Pakistan has mandated that a certain percentage of gross revenue generated by all telecom service providers be allocated to development and research of information and communication technologies with the vision to transform Pakistan’s economy into a knowledge-based economy by promoting efficient, sustainable and effective ICT initiatives through synergic development of industrial and academic resources.
ICT Endowment Fund, with a capital amount of about Rs. 100.00 million has been allocated to Mehran University of Engineering and Technology, which is providing scholarships to Master and Ph.D. students of IICT. In compliance with the perspectives of IT Policy, MUET has come forward to undertake R&D in the major fields of Information Technology & Telecommunication Sector for sustainable development.
Mehran University of Engineering and Technology is a public sector university catering to future engineering professionals. It was initially established as Engineering College in 1963. MUET offers undergraduate, post-graduate, and doctoral research programs in various fields. It ranks among the top 10 engineering universities of Pakistan. MUET is ISO certified university and member of Association of Commonwealth Universities of the United Kingdom.
- Cultivate industry-academia partnership by funding concrete development and research initiatives.
- Enhance the national ICT related human resource development capacity manifolds by facilitating industrial demand focused human resource capacity building and R&D capabilities in the country and promoting ICT related educational programs and activities.
- Make Pakistan an attractive destination for service oriented and research and development related outsourced jobs.
- Use ICT as a tool for wealth creation and upward mobility for economically challenged groups of citizens.
- Spread the ICT activities on a true national level